With each successful update of WordPress, the more comfortable you become when receiving weird fatal error messages, which cause your blog to crash completely until you decode and address them.
I used the auto update option to bring Loosely Speaking up to date yesterday. It took about 5 minutes, and then another 5 to calmly troubleshoot a page full of those “fatal error” messages.
I typically discover a a handful of broken links and general weirdness for a few days following a an update. Also, the pages sometime load very slowly just afterwards, making me wonder if it’s the installation or if I need to use phpMyadmin to clean out my database, or if I need to contact my host.
Specifically, my update didn’t find or recognize these three files:
All it took was a look through the 2.7 package to find these, after which I reuploaded each individual file.
Other unresolved matters:
- Slow as molasses after the update
- WYSIWYG dissabled in the “Write Post” area
I love working with WordPress, and I have learned not to have a panic attack every time I do an upgrade. I have also learned to expect some downtime, so I don’t perform updates unless I have some spare time.
Can casual or first time users really be expected to remain calm when a simple update crashes their site? Must one really employ a WP professional for handling these updates?
It helps to read about the new release before performing updates. Here’s a good overview provided by Lorelle: WordPress Upgrade Tips.
Editor update 12/18/08:
I’ve been searching for a fix for the missing Visual Editor on 2.7 for the past couple of days. After reading a treatment of this issue by Andrew Ozz on Wordpress, I began to see that my new updated version doesn’t look anyhing like the screen shots I was seeing. Hmm… I then decided to take a look at the wp-admin and wp-include folders, and compare the contents with a newly downloaded version of 2.7. Aha. They are totally different. This means my auto update didn’t actually work completely. (Whether to my having skipped a few too many WP updates or if the plugin for updating wasn’t working, I don’t know.)
Next step was to replace both folders. That done, the visual editor is now back turned on and working properly.Ã‚Â So, thanks, Andrew!