December 2010 Podcast Program Notes–Tara’s and my holiday bonus episode.Scroll to the bottom of this page and click on the “AZVAs the Podcast” link to listen to the episode now.
A portion of this episode was recorded live at Method Coffee (here’s Method’s Facebook page) in Prescott Arizona, back on September 4, 2010. The coffee was delicious and the place was full that lovely day, so apologies in advance for all the background hubbub…. hope it makes you want to visit Method Coffee in person!
Contents of this episode:
- Discussion/Announcements: Tara and Katie discuss copyright infringement issues faced by writers and creatives.
- Interviewee: Kristin Hansen, the “Knitting Nanny.” Katie and Kristin chat about how to launch a business in the “practical arts,” opportunities for independent contractors who wish to provide support services to designers, and explored the topic of copyright infringement. Kristin has generously offered a FREE GIFT to listeners of this episode (the deadline to get it is December 31, 2010). To find out how to win, please follow the directions as explained on the podcast. (For more on Kristin and how to reach her, scroll down!)
- Tips: Have a wonderful holiday and please join us again in February 2011 for the first episode of our 2011 season themed “Keeping it Real!” We’ll feature YOUR questions and OUR answers on anything related to entrepreneurship, self-employment, virtual assistance, and small business operations.
- December Poll Question
November’s poll winner is… tah dah: Will Hepburn. Congratulations, Will! Please contact us for a date for coffee or tea on Tara and me!If your response is selected this month, you win the usual “coffee or tea on Tara and me!”
How to win this month’s prize: (1) leave your question as a comment at the end of this post; OR (2) post your question on the AZVAs Facebook page discussion tab or wall; OR (3) send your question to us via email to ktcosmos-at-LooseEnds-dot-net.
Here’s this month’s poll question:
What do you want to know about running or launching or building your own business? Fire away and we’ll answer your questions in our February 2011 episode.
Links mentioned in this podcast:
http://www.Ravelry.com (Once you join Ravelry, you can search forums and groups for key words like knitwear-designers, hire-a-knitter-or-crocheter, etc.)
Knitgrrl Guide to Professional Knitwear Design, by Shannon Okey
The Craft Artists Legal Guide, by Richard Stim
Kristin Hansen’s book, Perfectly Plus (a collaboration with Conjoined Creations) is scheduled for release December 31, 2010.
Copyright laws can be confusing. For more on the subject, you’ll need to read and figure it out for yourself by searching for these terms: “Digital Millennium Copyright Act,” “copyright laws,” and “copyright infringement.”
Coming Up in 2011 at AZVAs:
Thursday January 20, 2011, Jan B. King presents “Virtual Assistants Make Anything Possible for Their Author Clients.” Details and pricing are over on the events tab at the AZVAs FaceBook page, or just go straight to this link to register using Paypal. (Hurry! First 3 to sign up save $10; next 5 save $5.00!)
Mid February 2011: Our first episode of AZVAs the podcast will launch, featuring the topic: “Transitioning from Full Time work to Self Employment” Katie interviews Tara and we both answer to YOUR biz questions.
AVAILABLE NOW: The entire first season of AZVAs the Podcast is available on CD for just $10. Perfect for your biz colleagues who don’t “get” how to listen to a podcast online. Here’s a link to purchase.
More on this month’s interviewee: Kristin Hansen
As a busy designer, knitting instructor and finisher of projects knitters found too challenging to complete on their own, it’s a challenge to catch up with Kristin in person. I so appreciate that she worked in “coffee talk” in early September. Kristin is presently ramping up for her appearance at the big industry event, The National Needle Arts Association (TNNA) Winter Trade Show January 6 – 10, 2011 in Long Beach, CA. How to reach Kristin: 928-771-1824. By email: Kristin.Hansen@yahoo.com or Kristin@KnittingNanny.com Or, her web site:www.KnittingNanny.com On Ravelry, she’s known as “kehmaple.” (Remember to listen to the podcast to find out how you can receive a free gift from Kristin!)
AZVAs the Podcast is produced by two Virtual Assistants (VAs) from Prescott Arizona.
- Tara Fort, owner of Versatility. Versatility Business Services offers expert-level proofreading, copy editing, transcription and legal administrative support. All services delivered professionally and efficiently.
- Katie Baird, owner of Loose Ends, specializes in web development and social media support. She’s also skilled at bringing diverse groups together, think-tank style, to generate inspired solutions to challenges and discover new opportunities and directions.
Speaking of this, here are links to earlier AZVAs podcasts:
- Episode 9: What 2010 Tells us about 2011 (November, 2010)
- Episode 8: Publishing Industry Opportunities (October, 2010)
- Episode 7: Your Best Self (September, 2010)
- Episode 6: DIY and Your Business: Can you really do it all yourself? (August 2010)
- Episode 5: Building Relationships with other Small Businesses (July 2010)
- Episode 4: Professionalism in and outside of the office (June 2010)
- Episode 3: Prepping to Attend Industry Events (April 2010)
- Episode 2: March 2010
- Episode 1: February 2010